Monday, August 24, 2009

New Moon and a Few Different Kinds of WIPS
Here is my latest moon, This one is a twelve inch, a rare size for me to do anymore. He is pictured with a star ornament and a black cat carved wooden ornament, still un-finished. The black cat was actually a carved hideous tabby with chunky fat legs and body and too large gotesque eyes. I found him at a salvage place and started by re-carving him all over to make him a svelte Halloween kitty...and of course have painted him black but not added any features yet. It was fun whittling him down and completely changing him..he even may have a few ribs now!






And here are some painting sketches for a a recent commission. Finished paintings will be 48" x 24". They will be old world pastoral landscapes, one with sheep the other with cattle...ok these pics aren't the best but will show more on this project and a few other projects in this genre later!






My children start school in the morning, first day this year! I think we will all be going to bed soon so we can get an early start... I've promised them my pancakes for breakfast...(maybe even pumpkin ones!) then maybe I can get back to some studio work! I feel I have gotten behind, half done projects are littering the studio and several things still need to be packed and shipped! It couldn't be a better week for school to start, but I feel sad saying goodbye to summer, it was a perfect one. This time of year brings me a sense of nostalgia for seasons already past, as well as anticipation for fall and fun still to come. Still, strangely, I'm filled with a stirring AND a yearning...hard to put in words.

7 comments:

yoborobo said...

I know that feeling well, Brandi. Sad, but excited, too. :) Your WIPs are beautiful - but I am amazed at your paintings!! What a talented artist you are. Please show us the finished pieces! Have a good day tomorrow - the pancakes will be a lovely way for them to start back. And then maybe you can sit down with a good cup of coffee and work. :) xox

Sycamore Moon Studios said...

Great, great work! Kudos to you.

Lisa said...

Oh Brandi, thanks for the peek of your paintings. Always love looking at other styles.
Hope the kids enjoyed the pancakes...Honestly, I gag at the smell of pancakes, could never eat them, but I'm told I make good ones.
Excellent Brandi!

Shes Off Her Rocker said...

hi Pam...thanks for your kind comments! I have managed to get a little done this week..had a lot to ship and since my stuff is so big even though I am used to it it always takes time and is an ordeal. Now its waaay hot again and I'm feeling un motivated. Trying to finish up a three mooned candelabra! I have gotten behind on my blog reading and posting! I need to get to Halloween work... thanks for writing...
B

Shes Off Her Rocker said...

Thanks Sycamore! I appreciate it!

Shes Off Her Rocker said...

Thank you Lisa! And so funny, i don't much eat them , either, blegh, too sugarey...I'm an egg girl all the way!

lisanelsonart said...

Hi Brandi, you know I love your moons and I find your paintings so inspiring, even in draft form. You make me want to get out my oils again! These will be gorgeous - and impressive in size! How in the world will you ship these? I guess someone who ships the moon everyday doesn't worry about that sort of thing. Hope the girls enjoyed going back to school and like their teachers. Have a wonderful and creative week! Lisa