Wednesday, July 8, 2009



More Paintings From Marshville....

We spent another beautiful day at the farm yesterday. It was a bit more humid and hazy but it is July! The summer has just been glorious so far but we need rain again. Everything is starting to look dry and a bit more flat...true to mid summer around here lately.



You can see where the pasture is starting to dry out...


My Dad has been painting consistently, everyday. Here are his most recent paintings from the weekend. I just love the way the buildings, roofs, and little propane tank are all snuggled together...this painting has the feeling of a nice still life, too. His colors are so much richer looking, I asked him why and he said its the linseed oil he has started using.




Warm verses coolness of shadows...





A loose little painting of the pines again...






Most in this group with buildings are from photographs he has taken years ago for the purpose of painting when he retired! And he sure is painting now! He is a retired self employed graphic designer.





I LOVE the color and light in this one...so stark...





And this, well, this is just Marhsville. There are turkey houses like this all over. Makes me feel at home just looking at it.




I love how these two seem like old friends...


Look at the hot stillness here...makes you want to sit in the shade and chew on a piece of grass..



You can FEEL the weight and shape of his structures....just look at the one brush stroke highlights on those cylindrical grain storage things...so juicy!!



And here, wash drying on the line...my favorite part is the softly suggested, looming treeline behind...in early morning summer light...


LOOK at the light painted here on theese tin roofs!! This is some thick and juicy brushwork, too...


And this is one of my favorites just because it looks so creepy...just one of those houses you wouldn't want to get too close to, and look at the mountain looming behind. I believe this one was done from a photography trip up in our N.C. mountains. It makes me yearn for late October.




The kids and I found a couple of tree frogs, they have such comical little expressions! I love their ball point toes...


He just looks like he wants to talk to you!!



I never tire of the beauty here!!



Ellie and Cassie getting out the horse...Cassie looking like a whisp of a gypsy girl in the tall grass with my sarong wrapped around her like a cloak...


Be-boppin' around ...

It was a peaceful mid-summer's day!




No comments: